Monday, March 5, 2012

Commander Keen

Last week I made this for Jimmy Giegerich's 8-bit video game zine. Such a cool idea! I had to submit.



I was never allowed a console as kid so we were strictly a PC gaming household. We used to play Commander Keen among lots of other old games as a family after dinner, all of us taking turns while the others sat close and spectated.

I didn't realize this until recently, but the creators of Commander Keen also worked on the Doom games, which we also played as a family. This accounts for the last level of Doom II including shooting 4 Commander Keens hung from the ceiling as a symbol of the creators' hatred for having to work on such a cute game.



Neat!!

I think I might make a color version since it just isn't Commander Keen without all the purple and green and yellow.

-M

0 comments: